This soup will literally bring some sunshine to your day. From the moment you put the food to cook, to the time you are ready to plate it and eat it, you will enjoy the sweet aroma of the cooked veggies that will have your family wondering what’s for dinner (or lunch). The best part is that it comes together with very little involvement from you! Don’t miss out, you have to give this one a try.
Ready in 1 hr. 45 min – Serves 6
To make this recipe you’ll need:
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 butternut squash
- 8 oz roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise (about 3 tomatoes)
- 2 carrots quartered
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 1 sweet potato diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C).
In a bowl, mix the olive oil, with the minced garlic, the dried oregano and a pinch of salt.
Place all the vegetables on a roasting sheet and brush them with the olive oil mixture. Bake in the oven for 1 hour. After this time, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool down for a bit.
Scrape the flesh from the butternut squash and transfer to a large pot with all the other vegetables. Pour the stock in the pot and add some salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil at medium to high heat, lower the temperature and allow the soup to simmer for another 10 minutes.
Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Serve with a little oregano sprinkled above and enjoy!
- If you do not have an immersion blender you can use your regular blender to do this step. We recommend you let the soup cool down a bit before you transfer it to the blender.
- You can also use other kinds of tomatoes if you don’t have any Roma on hand.
- Make it vegan by using vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
- In Ecuador it is very customary to put small pieces of fresh cheese (queso fresco) and avocado in a hot soup. If you are feeling adventurous, you should definitely give it a try!