How can you resist a salad that is as colorful as a rainbow? This salad is a great way to awaken your taste buds and energize your body on a gray, wintry day. The plethora of succulent flavors will leave you feeling grounded and balanced. Plus, with a name like “Rainbow salad”, it’s intriguing enough for your kiddos to want to give it a try.
Ready in 30 minutes – Serves 2
To make this recipe you’ll need:
For the dressing (Makes ½ cup):
- Juice from ½ lemon
- Juice from ½ orange
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon agave
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
For the salad:
- ¼ cup quinoa
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups kale, roughly chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 2 beets, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 orange, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup fennel bulb, thinly sliced
Make the dressing by adding all ingredients to a small bowl, whisking until combined. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve the salad.
Cook the quinoa according to the package instructions.
While the quinoa is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add kale and salt, and saute for 2-3 minutes. Remove the kale from the pan and set aside on a plate. Reduce the heat to medium low and add ½ tablespoon of olive oil to the same skillet. Add the beets to the pan, sauteing them for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly tender. Remove from heat.
To assemble the salad, place the cooked quinoa, kale, beets, oranges, blueberries, pomegranate seeds, and fennel in a bowl. Toss with ¼ cup of the agave citrus dressing. Enjoy!
- Remaining dressing can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- You can easily slice the beets using a mandoline. If you don’t have a mandoline, a sharp knife will do the trick.