It’s October 1, and we all know that means the fall season is here. Don’t let the cooler, fall weather keep you from enjoying these summer veggies while they are still fresh. This veggie and mozzarella bruschetta will have you wishing summer could stick around a little longer.
Ready in 40 min – Makes 5 cups, enough for about 20 pieces of toast
To make this recipe you’ll need:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 leeks, cleaned and sliced
- 1 medium yellow squash, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes, diced
- Handful fresh basil, finely chopped
- Handful fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese, diced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 loaf of bread, sliced*
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté for 2 minutes. Next add yellow squash, zucchini, and eggplant to the pan, cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cherry tomatoes, cook for another 2 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add basil and oregano, continue cooking for 1 minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
While veggies are cooling, place slices of toast on a baking sheet and broil in the oven for 1-2 minutes each side.
Toss mozzarella with the veggie mixture. Top each slice of toast with the bruschetta and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!
- We used sourdough bread for this recipe, but you can use french bread, ciabatta or any artisan type bread.